Rookies – The second progressive class between super standard and the highest class Sports defined with additional modifications to allow continued progressions.
Only one (1) engine permitted
Engine must be naturally aspirated (no forced induction permitted)
- MUST be a common mass produced Australian ‘dinghy’ manufacturer brand
- Construction material open
- Can be strengthened for safety
- Can be modified
- Custom seat(s) permitted front seat may be removed
- Sufficient alternative floatation must be fitted to hull
- Can be fitted with a central mounted keel
- Engine trimming devices may be fitted
ENGINE parts that can be removed and parts that can not be removed.
- No factory parts can be removed except
- Shallow water drive set up
- Original fuel fitting from tank to factory fuel filter
- Original water tell tail may be redirected from factory outlet position
- Air box and foam around pull cord
- Engine must retain all other original engine manufacturer’s specifications and parts.
- Original Engine’s Carburettor, Reeds, Pistons, Ports, Head, Exhaust, Flywheel, Electrics, Choke Butterflies, Gear box MUST BE TRUE to original manufacturers specifications for make and model and remain fitted to the engine (Exceptions: Reeds may be changed but must be for make and model of engines, Reed stops may be removed, Rev Limiter may be disconnected by bypassed & Air Box and foam around pull cord may be removed.
- Yamaha outboards may use ‘pre 2009? Carburettors on 2009 to current motors.
- !!NO polishing of ports or die grinder blending of engine block casing or other parts permitted.
- (Exemption): Bores can be honed for repair purposes only:-
- Pistons – oversize limit OPEN but MUST BE Genuine engine manufacturer’s parts (ed: NO Wiseco or other aftermarket brand)
- Engines can be jetted for tuning purposes
- Heads may be machined in thickness but no modifying of chambers area.
- Standard Exhaust Tuner must be used but may have material removed but not added i.e. no welding.
- Free rev in neutral is allowed
- Must not be able to start in gear.
- NO nose cones permitted
- NO stabiliser fins permitted on cavitations plate
- Bracing swivel bracket and tiller arm is permitted for safety
- Standard manufacturer’s gaskets only
- Cavitation plate height for all classes except 300cc is measured by placing a 1200mm straight edge 600mm forward of transom (as in picture).
- Cavitation plate must be lower than the top of the straight edge, on at least one side of the cavitation plate, when the cavitation plate is parallel with the hull.
- This measurement must be correct when the trimming device fitted is being used.
- Any through hub propeller may be used open to all and any modifications
- Service Station Pump fuel only i.e. Premium or Unleaded (AVGAS not permitted and or additives)