FAQ / New Racer Info.

What hulls are used?

The most common hull is the ‘Stacer 319 Proline’ old model which is available still from Bikes and Boats in Renmark, South Australia. However any mass produced Australian ‘dinghy’ brand is eligible to enter in the standard, super standard and rookies classes. Hull construction is open in 300cc modified and sports classes.

What engines are used?

Most common 2 stroke outboard motors can be used, the most common is the Yamaha 30hp 3 cylinder model. Other and new engines are welcome, the Riverland Dinghy Club committee can be contacted if you have any questions about the engine you intend on competing with, this allows us to prepare any information needed for scrutineering if the engine make/model is not currently being used in the field already.

What is the best way to learn the course for a race?

The best way to learn the course is to attend as many Riverland Dinghy Club organised practice days as possible, sweep boats are supplied by the Riverland Dinghy Club and most racers are more than happy to help out new competitors and show you the course.

What is that pump thing I see all the drivers using in the videos?

That ‘pump thing’ is a hand operated hydraulic pump, which operates a hydraulic ram that trims the motor out. Electric trimming is now also becoming more common. The ram pushes outwards on a custom made plate that is fitted inside the engines swivel bracket.

What type of bracing does my new race dinghy need?

A ‘vee brace’, plated transom, centre keel, extra floor ribs, hand rails and tubing in the gunnel rail is a good place to start.

I want to get into dinghy racing, what class am I eligible to enter?

A new racer with no past racing experience must start racing in either a standard class (15hp, 25hp or 30hp standard class) or 300cc modified class. Once one season of racing in the previously mentioned classes is completed, you are eligible to begin progressing through the other classes. Check out the rules section for more information.

How old do I have to be to start dinghy racing?

To start racing as a driver the minimum age is 16 and you must hold a current boat license. The minimum age requirement for a navigator is 14 years.

When is the annual dinghy derby weekend?

The dinghy derby is held on the first Sunday of February each year, with the dash for cash on the Friday before. The other 4 rounds of the championship series vary from year to year, keep an eye on the Riverland Dinghy Club Facebook page and here on the website for upcoming dates.

I have entered as a driver, but cannot compete. Am I able to find someone else to drive my boat?

Once entries are closed no new drivers are eligible to enter, this is because our championship series is based on the driver. Navigators may be substituted if required.

What is ‘Sufficient Floatation’?

We recommend that you have extra floatation fitted in your boat so that in the unfortunate event that your boat sinks/flips etc. it does not sink and can be retrieved more easily. Some good options are car tubes secured behind or under your seats, large car or tractor tubes secured in the bow of the boat.

I have an idea or opinion that I would like to share to benefit the club, how can I do so?

On the first Monday of every month the Riverland dinghy club holds an open meeting at the Renmark Club; all members are welcome to attend. If you are not local, feel free to contact us via email or our Facebook page. The Riverland Dinghy Club is run by a group of volunteers, so if you see an issue we welcome and appreciate it if you are willing to help us with finding a solution.

Chigros Motors Renmark Hotel GJ Gardner Country Blinds & Doors Pinyon Engineering Ryde Clothing PK Automotive TriState Graphics SnD Constructions Riverland Data & Security MGA Insurance Ballistic Fireworks